Who We Are and Why
The Friends of Leo J Martin Skiing is a nonprofit organization with 501 (c) 3 status. We represent a wide range of cross-country skiers and winter enthusiasts who are working to ensure that the Leo J Martin remains a vibrant home to cross-country skiing and other forms of winter recreation.
A property of the Department of Conservation and Recreation (DCR), the Leo J Martin is a vital resource for our community and our state. A golf course in non-winter months, the Leo J Martin is also the only cross-country ski area with snowmaking in Massachusetts. In just four months of the 2014 – 2015 season, venue operator The Weston Ski Track recorded over 42,000 visits. As the DCR seeks to improve the golfing facility, the Friends of Leo J Skiing are working with the DCR to continue to improve the winter facility so that it retains its invaluable position in our community and our state.
Our group recognizes the role the Leo J Martin property plays in supporting the Department of Conservation and Recreation’s mission “to protect, promote and enhance our common wealth of natural, cultural and recreational resources for the well-being of all.” Citizens whose wellbeing is enhanced by the winter facility include members of:
- The Bill Koch Youth League which consists of hundreds of skiers aged 6-13 who practice and hold events at the facility throughout the winter
- Surrounding Elementary Schools who use the facility regularly as part of their athletic offerings
- Local High Schools that field a dozen teams with daily practices and twice-weekly league races
- The Cambridge Sports Union Junior Ski Program which develops promising youth ski racers, many of whom have gone on to be ranked among the top skiers in the country and who represent the US in international competitions
- The General Public who are able to take lessons, rent equipment, ski and snowshoe at their leisure, and participate in outdoor events such as the Winter Trails Day
- Disabled Skiers and Veterans who, through a cooperative program between the New England Nordic Ski Association and the Brockton and Boston VA Hospitals, enjoy a unique opportunity to exercise on the snow and enjoy the outdoors
- Masters and College Racers who include many skiers aged 50 and over, as well as the Harvard and Wellesley College teams
- Urban youth programs such as the Boys and Girls Club and YES
- Local Businesses Owners for whom the ski center contributes to their livelihood and to the economic well-being of the area.
We would love to add your voice to the chorus of citizens who want the Leo J Martin to remain a viable and sustainable winter resource for years to come. Please help us and join our group by registering your name as a Friend.
If you want to get more involved, you can also sign up for our volunteer list.
For questions or more information, please email email@example.com.
For press inquiries, please contact Elizabeth Wilcox at Elizabeth@wilcommunications.com
FOJMS Board of Directors
Chris Doyle, FOLJMS Chair
FOJMS Advisory Board
Barrett Kitch, MD